Documents you need to provide
When you visit the registration office to give formal notice you will be required to produce the following as applicable: (Please note original or certified copies of documents are required, photocopies are not acceptable)
- full birth certificate or
- evidence of nationality - your passport
- if you were born after 01.01.1983 and you do not hold a passport you will, in addition to your own full birth certificate, need your mother's birth certificate or passport
- evidence of address - council tax bill, utility bill, bank statement , driving licence
- evidence of change of name (deed poll/statutory declaration)
- fee payable per person (additional fees may apply at the point where the registration officer takes your legal notice. When you attend the appointment please ensure you have a means of payment otherwise your notice cannot be taken)
If either of you are not a British Citizen or National of a country within the European Economic Area, you will need to attend together at a designated registration office for which additional information will be required at the notice appointment. In addition to the documents listed above if either party to the intended marriage is a foreign national (non-EEA) you will both need to bring one passport sized colour photograph to your notice appointment. If you do not bring a photograph we will not be able to take your notice.
For detailed information please visit: https://www.gov.uk/marriages-civil-partnerships/giving-notice-at-your-local-register-office
Previous marriage/civil partnership
If either of you have been married or entered into a civil partnership before you will need to bring one of the documents listed below as evidence that the marriage/civil partnership has ended and that you are free to marry:
- decree absolute following divorce
- decree of dissolution of civil partnership
- death certificate if a widow/widower/surviving civil partner
- decree of annulment
If you are unable to produce any of the documents in the lists above, please contact the ceremonies team prior to your appointment. If you fail to bring the appropriate documents then your notice will not be taken. Original documents are required, photocopies are not acceptable.
For details of our ceremony options, availability and booking a notice appointment please contact our ceremonies team at email@example.com or 01452 425060 (option 3).