Marriage Legislation and changes to Registration Information
Marriage Legislation and changes to Registration
On Tuesday 4th May 2021 new legislation came into force modernising the way marriages are registered in England and Wales.
- The current paper registers will be replaced with electronic registers.
- Up to 4 parental options will be available in the marriage entry.
- Marriage certificates will no longer be issued and presented on the day of the ceremony.
- The signed schedule/ marriage document will be returned to the local registration service where the marriage will be registered in the electronic register. Pre-paid marriage certificates (where a registrar has attended your marriage) will be produced and posted within 7 days once the marriage has been registered.
*Please note that as we use a third party for postal delivery of the certificate, we are unable to confirm how long delivery itself will take.
- For religious marriages without the attendance of a registrar, certificates can be ordered by completing the online form which is available on our website.